A trailer wiring harness is critical in providing a safe and reliable electrical connection between the towing vehicle and the trailer. The wiring harness controls the trailer’s lights, turn signals, brakes, and other electrical components by allowing the towing car to transmit electrical signals to the trailer. This connection is essential for ensuring that the trailer is visible and can be easily maneuvered, which helps to keep both the driver and other drivers on the road safe.
Here are several factors to consider when selecting a trailer wiring harness that best fits your vehicle:
- Compatibility with your Vehicle – The first and most crucial factor to consider when choosing a trailer wiring harness is compatibility with your vehicle. Not all wiring harnesses are compatible with all cars, and some may require additional adapters or modifications to fit correctly. Check your vehicle’s make and model to find the wiring harness designed specifically for your vehicle.
- Trailer Wiring Harness Type – There are two trailer wiring harnesses: plug-and-play and hardwired. Plug-and-play harnesses are easier to install and are designed to plug directly into your vehicle’s existing wiring system. On the other hand, hardwired harnesses require more time and effort to establish but are often more durable and reliable in the long run.
- The Number of Trailer Lights – The number of lights on your trailer will determine the type of wiring harness you need. A basic four-pin harness is sufficient for trailers with just a few lights, but larger trailers with more lights may require a more complex harness with seven or more pins.
- Wiring Gauge – The wiring gauge on your harness will determine the amount of current that can pass through it. Thicker wires can handle more current and are necessary for towing heavier loads. Be sure to choose a wiring harness with a gauge that’s appropriate for the weight of the trailer you’ll be towing.
- Corrosion Resistance – Trailers are often exposed to the elements, which can cause corrosion on the wiring and connectors over time. Look for a wiring harness with weather-resistant materials and corrosion-resistant connectors to ensure it lasts for many years.
Are you looking for the best manufacturer of trailer cover and warning harness in Australia? Then Trailer 2000 Parts is for you. We became the country’s leading producer of utility trailer accessories that can ensure durability along with a high level of customer service. Contact us today by clicking here, emailing email@example.com, or calling 07 5494 6711.